Friday, May 29, 2015

5 Tips for Running with your Dog

Hey folks, Haddie here!  For the last few months, Bella, Myla and I have been going out in the mornings and running to get our exercise.  Before I came to live with Matt and Myla, I didn't get to do anything like that!  Initially, I was a little anxious about the whole idea, but now I LOVE to go!  In the mornings, I stalk Myla to be sure she's not leaving without me...

Running with dogs.

One day last week, Bella and I got to talking and we came up with five tips that will help all pet owners who want to, but don't regularly run with their dogs! 

Tips for running with your dog.

One: Run facing oncoming traffic with your dog on your left side.
We run down a country road that typically doesn't have a lot of cars, but it's important for you and us to run against traffic.  This way, you see the cars coming at us and are on the opposite side of the road if a car is coming from the other direction.  Myla is also really a stickler about Bella and I being on her left side.  I think she would throw herself in front of a car rather than risk us getting hurt!

Two: For our safety and yours, no earbuds or headphones.
When the three of us go running Myla never listens to music!  Ever.  This way she can hear if a car, or even a tractor, is coming up behind us long before we ever see it!

Running with your dog.

Three: Build our stamina.
Please, please don't take off with us and run for miles and miles if we aren't use to it.  Bella was use to running with Myla (she's been going since she was a puppy), but I had to start with shorter distances.  Now that we've been at it for a while, I can hang with the two of them and our long runs are about 4 miles.

Four: A good leash.
The leashes that Myla has for us are called British-style slip leads.  You can buy the exact ones we use here!  Bella's is 'Camo' and mine is 'Purple Confetti'... You're not surprised, right?  Anyway, these leads are good for taking your dog running because they provide a gentle reminder to keep up (if we think it's necessary to stop and sniff) or slow down (if we see a rabbit) while we are out and about.


Five: Make it fun!
Usually just being out with Myla is enough 'fun' for us, but there are special days when we run to the creek and GET TO SWIM!  Initially, I wasn't even sure if I could swim?  Myla was skeptical too because I heard her say to Matt "I untied my shoes in case she sank like a rock and I had to go in after her!"  I'm not the water dog that Bella is, but we both take full advantage of our time by crashing through the tall grass and tackling each other to jumping off the bank and into the water!

Are you and your human running partners?  Do they insist that you follow any specific rules?

Linking up with Amanda, Christina and Karli.  

1 comment:

  1. Cute post!! Sam actually does better on a jog than a walk, he isn't all over the place like when we walk. He just can't go that far on a jog :)

    ReplyDelete