Sunday, May 6, 2012

Super Saturday

Saturday was a pretty big day around these parts what with the Kentucky Derby and Cinco de Mayo being the same day and all!  Some friends had decided a while back that they wanted to host the big party this year so Friday I spend cooking and baking for the festivities.  I made some corn salsa, a black bean layer dip, zucchini brownies and a derby day pie.  You can't call this specific pie by it's official name, "D#$%y Pie" because there's actually a trademark on the name, so I was brainstorming all day and came up with 'KY Pie', as in Kentucky Pie.  It never really clicked until I said it out loud in a room full of people that it could be interpreted as a certain kind of lubrication, not as a state abbreviation!  Oh boy, did everyone get a kick out of that! Listed below is the recipe I used and some not so great pictures of the process...  I don't have a big fancy camera to take beautiful pictures with, sorry!

Derby Day Pie  

1/2 c butter, melted
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp bourbon
3/4 c pecans, chopped
3/4 c chocolate chips
Pie Shell-I followed this great lady's recipe!

Put the pie shell in a shallow pie plate.

In a large bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients in the order given.  I flip flopped the butter and sugar, and it still came out okay...









 Just keeping it real folks...
 This was all that was left of the pie, two thumbs up.  Side note, the pie would be even better served with some vanilla ice cream. Next time!

This year's Kentucky Derby was a great race!  Bodemiester, the horse who broke first and lead almost the whole race had a great trip.  Unfortunately for him, but good for me, I'll Have Another came from the #19 post on the outside pole to win!  My pocketbook may be a little more fat than it was yesterday prior to the race... It seemed fitting that I'll Have Another won the race on a day that we spent with great friends, good food and amazing margarita's! 
The Derby Gals (l-r) Me, Jody, Karen and Cheri

No comments:

Post a Comment