Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mission Accomplished, Finally!


I don't know about anyone else out there, but I was so incredibly late getting my patio containers planted this year.  First, cash flow limited what I could do and then I was gone for a week and finally the triple digit temperatures here in the Midwest were stifling!  Last night I finally finished up my arrangements and I think they look pretty fantastic, if I don't say so myself! 
I like to incorporate old and vintage items along with the pretty flowers and foliage on our deck.  The old wagon I scavenged from my parents farm.  My Dad actually remembers using it when he was a kid.  I found the old crate in the barn where we live.  The rusty watering can was purchased at a thrift store.  I adapted it by cutting the top out and planted flowers inside.  Finally, the red, white and blue bunting ties it all together, which I'll leave up all summer long to celebrate 'Merica!
On the other side of steps I have several small pots nestled alongside an old chair with a large pot placed inside.  I'm sure you've seen this everywhere, but I just love the look!  My girlfriend and fellow crafter, Kathie, made me the large watermelon decoration and gave it to us three years ago as a house-warming gift.  This year I add another 'slice' of watermelon for additional decor.  Finally, the "Welcome" sign was an afternoon project last year.

Do you know about the 'rule' of "Thrillers, Fillers and Spillers" when filling your containers?  To achieve a beautiful arrangement consider adding:
  • Tall plants - Thrillers
  • Round, mounding plants - Fillers
  • Plant that hangs over the side - Spillers
In my arrangement pictured below, I used pink Geraniums for my 'Thriller', red Snapdragons and purple Petunias for my 'Filler' and purple Sweet Potato Vine for my 'Spiller'.
If you haven't already, go and scavenge for any plants left at the garden centers and see about putting a container together using the "Thriller, Filler and Spiller" tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment