Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review: The Book Thief


Way back last spring, I added The Book Thief to my 'to-read' bookshelf on Goodreads.  It was a suggested read from Amazon after I'd finished Sarah's Key and The Baker's Daughter, both of which are set during and/or discuss World War II and the Holocaust.

When my book club was looking for options for our February get together, it was at the top of my list!

The story is set in a small German town in 1939, the height of the Nazi Germany and is narrated by Death...

Liesel Meminger's mother has given her up and she is placed with a foster family living in Himmel, which translates to heaven.  After overcoming the shock of being abandoned by her mother, Liesel warms up to her accordian-playing foster father who teaches her to read the books she steals.  The family gets by on pea soup and a meager salary generated from being a washwoman and a house painter.  Things get tougher when the family agrees to conceal a young Jewish man in the basement of their home!

I thought this book was excellent!  It was beautifully written and the character development was wonderful.

Oh and if you're a sucker for a happy ending like me, it won't take much to imagine it for yourself!

So tell me, have you read it too?  What did you think?









No comments:

Post a Comment