Monday, October 20, 2014

The "D" Word #blogtober14

No, it's not divorce.

My biggest fear is disappointing anyone who is counting on me to do something I promised I would, not being able to follow through with a commitment or failing miserably keeping up my end of the bargain!  I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself and when I have to let someone down or even worse, disappoint them... I fell like such a crap-tastic person.

The one person who I hate to disappoint more than anyone else in the world is my dad.  Yes, at 30 I'm still a Daddy's Girl!  I can still vividly remember the one incident that I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I'd really let him down.


First you need the back-story, without all the details leading up to The Incident it won't really make much sense:  I was a sophomore in college and was boarding my horse at a barn outside of town.  Six was down at school with me because we were going to be competing at a big horse show in Ohio and in order to practice, we couldn't really be 4 hours apart.  As I was driving out to the barn, I rear-ended a minivan at a stop light.  I was fine.  My truck was fine.  The couple in the van was fine.  Their van... not so much.  The police came.  Insurance traded, etc.  Parents were called... "Accidents happen.  It's okay.  Do better next time.  Keep your eyes open."  All was well.  Two weeks later...

I'd been at a horse show with several girls I rode with at the barn all day Saturday.  Everyone had a good day!  Six and I were really clicking, I was really excited about competing in Ohio at the American Quarter Horse Congress.  Still riding the high of a good horse show, we all sat in the office at the barn gabbing with the barn owner, putting off going back to our dorms.  Goodbyes were finally said and everyone headed out.  I jumped in my truck, threw it in R and proceeded to SLAM into the rear quarter panel of the barn manager's truck...  I can still hear the sound of my bumper crashing into hollow metal.  I jumped out and couldn't believe my luck!  Seriously?!?!  Two accidents in two week!  Kill me know.  While the barn owner, who was remarkably calm, called the police... I had to call my parents.  Again.  I dialed the home phone and the instant my dad answered I was a blubbering mess.  "Dad!  I'm sorry, I didn't see it in the dark.  I backed into Dion's truck..."  I was able to get out as much as I could about the accident before the line went silent on his end.  The next thing I knew my mom was on the line asking what had happened.  Without saying anything at all, being passed off to my mom like that I knew without a shadow of a doubt I'd disappointed my dad!

My dad did not talk to me for a solid week after the second car accident and to add insult to injury our insurance company, who I learned carried my family for over 20 years, dropped us like a hot potato!!  I was not only a disappointment to my dad, but too big a liability to insure...

 The Daily Tay
Linking up with Helene and Taylor.


1 comment:

  1. Girlfriend, I'm with you on being a daddy's girl!!! And unfortunately I have very similar (and multiple, lol) car stories...

    ReplyDelete